Devoxx Poland 2019
from Monday 24 June to Wednesday 26 June 2019.
Matthew is a Technology Lead at Ocado Technology, helping develop the pioneering software underpinning Ocado’s robotic warehouses. In addition to being excited by the value unlocked in automating physical processes within Ocado’s warehouses, Matthew is also a strong proponent of all aspects of software automation and the benefits that brings.
With 10 years previous experience as a Java software developer and software engineering team lead, Matthew is starting to pursue his enjoyment of sharing his expertise and experience with others.
Outside of work, you'll find Matthew raising his two young daughters and training for his next half marathon.
See also https://www.ocadotechnology.com/
Java and the JVM play a critical role in the running of Ocado’s automated warehouses. During this talk, we will take a look at the role Java has to play in the orchestration of huge robot swarms within our warehouses, and show how we can achieve superior efficiencies of scale.
We’ll explore in detail some of the tools and techniques employed to develop our Java based control systems, whilst also considering the benefits and challenges the use of Java has presented. This will include:
- The use of simulation to model the physical world with Java
- Our focus on determinism and places within the Java language that do not provide deterministic behaviour
- Examples of where we have used profiling and micro-benchmarking to identify algorithms and data-structures to be optimised
- GC selection, tuning and analysis
- An example of Java and C interoperability to unlock fast and comprehensive test coverage
The aim is that by the end of this talk, you’ll have a new appreciation of the versatility of Java and what is possible with the language.